Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Roses, Romance and Beef

The Engineer got me roses for Valentine's Day.





What?  It's only Feb. 3?  You're kidding me.


Actually he wanted to get the half-price roses on Tuesdays from Tillie's Flowers before they cancelled the deal for the month.  Oh, I know he's sweet.  Yes, this is the only valentine I will get.  No, I didn't ever imagine I could have a husband this romantic.  No, he didn't get the reaction he was expecting.  Yes, he's an engineer. Yes, I'd love to know how you feel about this.


The point is, since he is such a sweetheart, I knew I had to repay him.  So I decided to make him a beef dinner.


Personally, I don't love to eat beef just because it can be high in fat and cholesterol.  However, I love it when I am able to find lean beef because beef tastes pretty good.  Especially nice, rare steak.  It also feels nice to support Kansas ranchers by purchasing beef from Kansas.


I found a nice Kansas recipe on Vernalisa's Party Page .  Now, I don't know who Vernalisa is, and I'm not actually sure where the party is, but I did like the one recipe I tried:


Kansas Stir Fry
(modified)


1 1/4 lb. boneless beef top sirloin steak, 1-inch thick
8 oz. uncooked linguini
2 to 3 T. olive oil, divided
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 oz. portobello mushroom caps, cut in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1 medium red, yellow or green bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
2 T. basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/3 c. romano cheese, grated 



Top sirloin is supposed to usually be a fairly lean cut of steak.  Begin by cutting off all of the fat.  Cut your steak in half lengthwise and then cut the steak into 1/8-inch thick strips. This will mean that you are basically cutting your steak almost as thin as you can.




You will also want to cut up your vegetables.  I did not want to purchase the uber-expensive portobello mushroom caps, so I just got regular mushrooms.  Slice them very thin, as well, so they will cook through.




Then you want to slice your pepper very thin.  I like to use at least two colors of pepper, because it's prettier, and that's what is really important here.




In a very large skillet, heat your olive oil until very hot.  Sear steak pieces 1-2 minutes until brown.  You are going to want to make sure you do not leave your steak pieces in the skillet on one side for too long or they will look like this:




You want it to look more like this:


Remove the beef from the pan, and replace it with 1-2 tsp. oil.  Add your veggies, and cook them for about 3 minutes, or until your mushrooms are darker brown and yummy-looking.



Add your beef.


Plate, and top with cheese.  I used fresh parmesan instead of romano.  It's not so full of calories.



Of course, Wayne promptly removed the mushrooms.  But I liked the total package, myself.

What may be even more exciting than 1/2-price roses or beef stirfry is the fact we're having a Super Bowl party this weekend.  How am I going to manage to keep that healthy?  Oh, you just wait and see...



No comments:

Post a Comment